How to Apply for Museum School London
Step 2: Receive a Museum School London information package. Review package, sign our Letter of Agreement and return letter to program coordinator:
Applications for the 2017/2018 Museum School London program are now closed. Please check back for the 2018/2019 application in spring 2018.
Please read through the following guidelines before submitting an application.
- Each site is only able to accommodate one class of students per week (30 student max)
- If your teaching partner wants to participate, both teachers fill out an application and the weeks will be scheduled back to back if possible. It is important for both teachers to be involved in the planning process
- Teachers will be notified regarding their acceptance within 5 weeks of their application. Those we are unable to accommodate will be placed on a waiting list. A limited number of weeks are available.
The London Heritage Council is pleased to offer a $1250 program subsidy for all teachers accepted into the Museum School London Program - this makes the school-paid program fee $250. Once accepted into the Museum School London program, teachers will be sent an information package containing information about various funding sources available to offset the busing costs associated with Museum School London. Busing costs for the five day program at non-prime rates are approximately $500 for city of London schools. While we cannot guarantee busing subsidies for every school accepted into the program, we endevour to find ways to prevent busing costs from being a barrier to participating in Museum School London.
Teachers are selected on the following criteria:
- Adherence to the above guidelines and dates
- Equality of distribution for each school board and independents
- Proposal reflects the Museum School philosophy
Adult volunteers are required to accompany your class throughout the week to assist with supervision and help engage the students during small group activities. These volunteers may be parents or grandparents. Other adults who may assist you with supervision are student teachers and educational assistants.
Volunteers enjoy seeing the children learn in such an enriched environment, and find that they also learn from the experience.
Each Museum School site has supervision ratios to ensure proper supervision and safety of visiting students. This information is included in the Museum Site section.
Museum School Classroom
Each Museum School site provides classroom space which is used as a home base while spending the week at the museum. Knapsacks, coats and lunches may be kept in these areas. Some supplies are provided. Teachers are to discuss their supply needs with their museum contact ahead of time to avoid surprises.
Appropriate Student Behavior
Teachers are responsible for the conduct of their students while visiting the museum. Students must be closely supervised. Supervision ratios are indicated in the program descriptions of each museum school site. In the case of disruptive behavior, a class may be asked to leave for the day without a refund.